Rachmaninoff's Operas

Monthly Polls will indicate which recordings will be featured here, cast your vote!
Jessica

Rachmaninoff's Operas

Postby Jessica » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:56 pm

Anyone know of any good recordings of Rachmaninoff's Operas??

Thanks!

xoxo,
Jessica
"He who does not love music is not yet human; he who loves it only is only half human; but he who loves and practices it - he is fully human."

-Goethe

juufa72

Postby juufa72 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:59 pm

He wrote Operas?

Amphissa

Postby Amphissa » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:11 am

The box set of complete operas by Jarvi and the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra is a pretty decent collection. There is another collection on Russian Season label that is out of print, but you can sometimes find it used. The Jarvi set is probably the better buy.

It is more expensive to get them separately, and there are noyt a lot of choices. I rather like the recording of Aleko by the Plovdiv Philharmonic Orchestra with Bulgarian soloists, although the recording by Kitaenko with the Moscow Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra has its own appeal.

I don't really like any of the single-disc recordings of Francesca da Rimini, and there are not many readily available, so a set is your best bet if you want this opera.

As for The Miserly Knight, there is a CD on Chandos by Polyansky. If you prefer to see opera performed, rather than just listen to a recording, there is a DVD of the opera in performance by Jurowski with the London Philharmonic. There are some little changes in this performance, which you wouldn't really notice unless you are familiar with the original. And some of the singers are not world class. But the visual adds to the enjoyment if you aren't too much a stickler for details.

Even if you buy a box set of "complete" operas, they will not include Monna Vanna. The only recording that I have heard is by Buketoff with the Icelandic Symphony. And that is the only recording I have ever seen.

All of these operas are in the tradition of Rimsky-Korsakov and other Russian predecessors, with little choral writing and few real arias. Moreover, as 1-Act operas, there is not a lot of time for story development.

None of them come close to Rachmaninoff's finest vocal achievement, The Bells.

But it is good to hear them, just to know what they are like. Maybe you should check at your local library to see if they have any recordings.

One thing I will caution about. Most of these recordings do not include a libretto. How in the world are people supposed to know what is going on? And just try finding them online!
"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

Jessica

Postby Jessica » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:40 am

OH!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! :)

I'm gonna check it out right now...

xoxo,
Jessica
"He who does not love music is not yet human; he who loves it only is only half human; but he who loves and practices it - he is fully human."

-Goethe

RACHBOY

Postby RACHBOY » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:09 pm

did you find any??

Jessica wrote:OH!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! :)

I'm gonna check it out right now...

xoxo,
Jessica

morakeo

Postby morakeo » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:29 pm

Does anybody know any good recordings of them?

Generman

Re: Rachmaninoff's Operas

Postby Generman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:31 pm

There was a CD recordings of Miserly Knight by Russian Seasons and Bolshoi Opera with Chant Dumont on 1993. You can still find it .

Return to “Best Recordings”